In view of continuous growth in container traffic and meeting growing demand of business community and trade partners to have additional facilities for handling the same, the Port introduced private participation and invited global tenders for the first time in India to develop new Container Terminal to augment its container handling capacity .
JN Port entered into a license agreement in July 1997 with M/s. Nhava Sheva International Container Terminal (NSICT) a consortium led by M/s. P & O Ports, Australia, for construction, operation and management of a new 2-berth container terminal on BOT basis for period of 30 years. The same was fully operational from July 2000. The project comprises construction of 600 metres quay length; reclamation of 20 hectares of area for container yards and requisite container handling equipment along with other related facilities. The design capacity of this new 2-berth container Terminal was considered as 7.2 million tonnes per year. However, this capacity is further augmented and currently assessed as 15.6 million tonnes per year.
- Number of ground slots: 6222 , of which 620 are at ICD.
- 600 Metres linear quay length
- Rail mounted quay cranes - (RMQC) Post Panamax – 6; Super Post Panamax - 2
- Rubber tyred gantry cranes - (RTGC): 29
- Rail mounted gantry cranes - (RMGC): 3
- Reefer points: 672
- Backup Area - 26 Hectares (Container Yard)
- Railway Sliding for ICD - Two Tracks
- Tractor Trailers - 34 (owned) and about 100 hired
- Reach stackers - 3
- Empty Handlers - 2
Nhava Sheva International Container Terminal Pvt. Ltd.
Navi Mumbai- 400707.
Telephone : 91 22 5590 1234
Fax : 91 22 5590 2415
Website : http://www.nsict.co.in